Record of Meeting held on 23 October 1995 at 11:00 a.m.
in the Legislative Council Chamber
Hon Allen LEE Peng-fei, CBE, JP (Convenor)
Hon SZETO Wah
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, OBE, JP
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon Michael HO Mun-ka
Dr Hon HUANG Chen-ya, MBE
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing
Dr Hon Samuel WONG Ping-wai, MBE, FEng, JP
Hon CHAN Wing-chan
Hon CHENG Yiu-tong
Hon Anthony CHEUNG Bing-leung
Dr Hon LAW Cheung-kwok
Hon Mrs Elizabeth WONG CHIEN Chi-lien, CBE, ISO, JP
Dr Hon David LI Kwok-po, OBE, LLD, JP
Dr Hon Edward LEONG Che-hung, OBE, JP
Hon Fred LI Wah-ming
Hon James TIEN Pei-chun, OBE, JP
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Hon Bruce LIU Sing-lee
Hon Margaret NG
Hon TSANG Kin-shing
Miss Pauline NG
Assistant Secretary General
Mrs Constance LI
Clerk to the Establishment Subcommittee
Mr Andy LAU
Senior Assistant Secretary (Finance Committee)|
Mr Allen LEE Peng-fei, the Convenor of the meeting, invited nominations for the Chairman. Mr Ronald ARCULLI was nominated by Dr Samuel WONG Ping-wai, and seconded by Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong and Mrs Elizabeth WONG CHIEN Chi-lien. Mr Ronald ARCULLI accepted the nomination.
2. There being no other nomination, Mr Ronald ARCULLI was declared elected as Chairman of the Establishment Subcommittee (ESC) for the 1995-96 session.
3. Mr Ronald ARCULLI took the chair and called for nominations for the Deputy Chairman. Mr Anthony CHEUNG Bing-leung was nominated by Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong, and seconded by Dr LAW Cheung-kwok. Mr Anthony CHEUNG Bing-leung accepted the nomination.
4. Their being no other nomination, Mr Anthony CHEUNG Bing-leung was declared elected as Deputy Chairman of the ESC for the 1995-96 session.
5. In response to a Members question on whether the Chairman or Deputy Chairman of this Subcommittee would also be eligible to stand for election as chairman or deputy chairman of a Panel, the Assistant Secretary General advised that the Standing Order which required that A Member shall not be the chairman or deputy chairman of more than one Panel at the same time only referred to Panels. This requirement was not extended to other committees of the Council. In the case of the ESC, separate procedures had been endorsed by the Finance Committee which allowed all Members of the ESC to stand for election as chairman or deputy chairman of the Subcommittee. There were cases in the past that Members who held the office of chairman or deputy chairman of the Finance Committee or its subcommittees were also chairman of a Panel at the same time.
6. The Chairman advised Members that the ESC meetings would normally be held on Wednesday at 10:45 a.m.., except for the first meeting which would be held on Thursday, 2 November 1995 (1 November being a public holiday). The schedule of meetings for the 1995-96 session would be forwarded to Members shortly.
7. The meeting ended at 11.10 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
3 November 1995
Last Updated on 27 November 1998