For discussion EC(95-96)75
on 14 February 1996
ITEM FOR ESTABLISHMENT SUBCOMMITTEE OF
HEAD 46 - GENERAL EXPENSES OF THE CIVIL SERVICE
Subhead 004 Recoverable salaries and allowances (Urban Council)
Members are invited to recommend to Finance Committee the deletion of the following supernumerary post in the Urban Services Department
1 Administrative Officer Staff Grade C
(D2) ($95,550- $101,450)
Since the Regional Services Department (RSD) has taken over the responsibilities for the development of the Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse project from the Urban Services Department (USD), there is no need for USD to retain the supernumerary post of Administrative Officer Staff Grade C (AOSGC) to serve as Assistant Director (Privatisation) (AD(PR)).
2. The Director of Urban Services (DUS) proposes to delete the supernumerary post of AOSG C.
3. Finance Committee first approved the creation of a supernumerary post of AOSG C to serve as AD(PR) on 8 October 1986 to examine, plan and implement proposals for privatising some of the Urban Councils services including the operation of abattoirs. On 11 March 1994, Finance Committee approved the retention of the post for another three years with effect from 1 April 1994.
4. RSD has now assumed the leading role for the planning and co-ordination of the Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse project. For this purpose, we have created a supernumerary post of AOSGC in RSD since 8 May 1995 offset by freezing the supernumerary AD(PR) post in USD. DUS has re-distributed the remaining responsibilities of AD(PR) to other divisions of USD. In the circumstances, he no longer requires the AD(PR) post which can now be deleted. The Urban Council has endorsed the deletion of the post.
5. The savings in notional annual salary cost of this proposal at MID-POINT are $1,182,600. The Urban Council will retain the savings as the Administration has recovered the full salary cost, including on-cost, of the post from the Urban Council.
6. On 29 July 1995, Finance Committee approved the retention of the supernumerary AOSGC post in RSD mentioned in paragraph 4 above for six months with effect from 8 November 1995 and noted that the post of AD(PR) in USD would remain frozen pending the Urban Council's endorsement of its deletion.
7. We need Members approval to delete directorate posts. Civil Service Branch agrees that the supernumerary post in USD should be deleted now that RSD has taken up responsibilities relating to the development of the Sheung Shui Slaughterhouse.
8. We shall report the deletion of the post, if approved, to the Standing Committee on Directorate Salaries and Conditions of Service in accordance with the agreed procedure.
Urban Services Department
Last Updated on 3 December 1998