For discussion EC(95-96)57
on 15 November 1995
ITEM FOR ESTABLISHMENT SUBCOMMITTEE
OF FINANCE COMMITTEE
HEAD 37 - DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
Subhead 003 Recoverable salaries and allowances
Members are invited to recommend to Finance Committee the retention of the following supernumerary post in the 1996-97 draft Estimates -
1 Principal Executive Officer
(D1) ($80,450 - $85,400)
The Society for the Aid and Rehabilitation of Drug Abusers (SARDA) has not been able to find a suitable person to fill the post of Executive Director.
2. We propose to retain a supernumerary post of Principal Executive Officer (PEO) for one more year from 1 April 1996 to facilitate the continued secondment of a PEO to SARDA as Executive Director.
3. SARDA has not been able to find a suitable candidate to take up the post of Executive Director. The last two recruitment exercises conducted in 1993 and 1994 had not been fruitful. There is, as yet, no prospective candidate within the organisation ready to fill the post. SARDA has therefore requested the Government to continue to second an experienced civil servant at the PEO level to the organisation as Executive Director. Operation of the organisation would be hampered if this secondment is discontinued.
4. Moreover, continuation of the secondment in 1996-97 willthe added benefits of provide the necessary continuity and leadership to SARDA for overseeing various proposals which will be in their critical stage of implementation or development in 1996. These include the reprovisioning of the Womens Treatment Centre, the establishment of a new centre for young male abusers and the provision of counselling service for psychotropic substance abusers. SARDA will review the position in 1996 as it remains its long-term aim to recruit its own Executive Director.
5. An organisation chart of SARDA is at Enclosure 1 and the job description of its Executive Director is at Enclosure 2.
6. The notional annual mid-point salary cost of this post is -
No. of Post
7. We shall recover in full the full cost of this proposal, including staff on-costs, from SARDA.
8. The proposal has no other financial or staffing implications.
9. SARDA was unable to find a suitable candidate from the private sector to fill the post of Executive Director when it was established in 1982. A supernumerary PEO post has been created since May 1983 to facilitate the secondment of an experienced officer to the organisation. Subsequent attempts over the years to recruit an Executive Director failed. As a result, we have to retain the supernumerary post on an annual basis.
10. The grading and ranking of the proposed post are appropriate having regard to its duties and level of responsibility.
11. As the PEO post is proposed on a supernumerary basis, its retention, if approved, will be reported to the Standing Committee on Directorate Salaries and Conditions of Service in accordance with the agreed procedure.
Enclosure 2 to EC(95-96)57
- To support and advise the Executive Committee of SARDA on the development of policies in relation to the treatment and rehabilitation of drug abusers and on the implementation of these policies.
- To monitor and keep under review all programmes of service delivery and ensure that they are clinically, financially and operationally effective.
- To control and budget for the expenditure of funds from Government subventions and charitable organisations.
- To acquire, manage, develop and motivate the human resources of SARDA, comprising medical, nursing, social work and administrative staff.
- To see that SARDA has the necessary procedures, administrative arrangements, equipment and accommodation to carry out its tasks.
- To maintain effective net-working with the Department of Health, Social Welfare Department, Narcotics Division of Security Branch and other non-Government organisations involved in the treatment and rehabilitation of drug abusers.
Last Updated on 3 December 1998