LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 1321/95-96
Ref : CB2/PL/HA
LegCo Panel on Home Affairs
Minutes of Working Group Meeting
on Wednesday, 1 May 1996 at 10:45 a.m.
in Conference Room C of the Legislative Council Building
Members Present :
Hon HO Chun-yan (Chairman)
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing
Hon LEE Cheuk-yan
Dr Hon John TSE Wing-ling
Hon Mrs Elizabeth WONG CHIEN Chi-lien, CBE, ISO, JP
Staff in Attendance :
- Mrs Anna LO
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
- Mr Raymond LAM
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 6
The Chairman explained that the purpose of the working group meeting was to examine the way forward to examine the following human rights reports :
- Initial Report in respect of Hong Kong under Article 44 of the Convention on the Rights of the Child ("Initial Report under CRC")
- Supplementary report on Hong Kong under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights ("Supplementary Report under ICCPR")
- Third Periodic Report in respect of Hong Kong under Articles 2 to 16 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights ("3rd Periodic Report under ICESCR")
Special meetings with non-government organisations and proposed time schedule
2. Members agreed that special meetings to receive the views of non-government organisations (NGOs) on the three reports would be arranged respectively. Further meetings would also be arranged to consider the Administrations responses to the views of NGOs, and subsequently the initial draft of the report. The finalised report would be submitted to the House Committee for endorsement. It was hoped that the Panels reports on the "Initial Report on CRC" and "Supplementary Report under ICCPR" would be submitted to the House Committee before the summer recess, while that on the "3rd Periodic Report under ICESCR" would be submitted to the House Committee at its first meeting in the 1996/97 legislative session. The schedule of special meetings for the respective reports was set out at Appendix I.
3. Members noted that the time available for meetings with NGOs and the preparation of Panel reports was very tight. To facilitate preparation of the reports, it was agreed to designate the following Members with the task of overseeing the respective Panel reports :
| Report ||Designated Member
|"Initial Report under CRC"|| Dr John TSE
"Supplementary Report under ICCPR"
"3rd Periodic Report under ICESCR"
|Mrs Elizabeth WONG
3. To ensure adequate publicity for the meeting, Members agreed that respective advertisements would be placed in one Chinese and one English newspaper for the special meetings to meet NGOs and the wordings should follow that for the 13th Periodic Report on Hong Kong under the International Covention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination. Members also agreed to draw their constituents attention to the advertisement.
4. The meeting ended at 11:15 a.m.
16 May 1996
Last Updated on 19 Aug, 1998