LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 1702/95-96
Ref : CB2/PL/HA
LegCo Panel on Home Affairs
Subcommittee on Review of Advisory and Statutory Bodies
Minutes of Meeting
held on Friday, 7 June 1996 at 8:30 a.m.
in Conference Room A of the Legislative Council Building
Members Present :
Hon Christine LOH Kung-wai (Chairman)
Hon LEE Wing-tat (Deputy Chairman)
Hon NGAN Kam-chuen
Dr Hon John TSE Wing-ling
Members Absent :
Hon CHAN Yuen-han
Hon Bruce LIU Sing-lee
Staff in Attendance :
- Mrs Anna LO
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
- Mr Raymond LAM
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 6
The Chairman explained that the purpose of the Subcommittee was to review the present system of statutory and advisory bodies. Members noted the following papers tabled at the meeting :
- Members handbook of the Arts Development Council; and
- Hansard of the LegCo motion debate on 8 May 1996 on the subject.
2. In the ensuing discussion, Members deliberated on the information required and agreed to request the Administration to provide information as detailed at the Appendix. It was also agreed to circulate the following to members for information :
- Hansard of the LegCo sitting on 12 October 1994 relating to a question on "Public access to Government advisory bodies"
- Extracts of notes of the Home Affairs Panel meetings on 24 October 1994, 3 and 22 May 1995 and the relevant papers provided by the Administration
3. Members also expressed concern on the composition and selection criteria of the boards of major statutory or advisory bodies; and agreed that the issue might be examined at a future meeting.
4. Members agreed that the next meeting of the Subcommittee would be held at 8:30 a.m. on 5 July 1996 to examine the information provided by the Administration.
(Post-meeting note : At the instruction of the Chairman, the meeting was subsequently postponed to 8:30 a.m. on 15 July 1996)
5. The meeting ended at 9:20 a.m.
25 June 1996
Last Updated on 19 Aug, 1998