LegCo Paper No. CB(2)839/96-97
Ref : CB2/BC/6/96
Minutes of the first meeting of the Bills Committee on the Crimes (Amendment) (No. 2) Bill 1996
held on Wednesday, 18 December 1996 at 2:15 pm in Conference Room B of the LegCo Building
Hon Albert HO Chun-yan ( Chairman )Members Absent:
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon Frederick FUNG Kin-kee
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Hon Margaret NG
Hon Christine LOH Kung-wai*Clerk in Attendance :
Hon Bruce LIU Sing-lee*
Hon TSANG Kin-shing*
Hon Mrs Elizabeth WONG, CBE, ISO, JP*
Staff in Attendance :
- Mrs Betty LEUNG
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2)3
- Mr Jimmy MA
- Legal Adviser
- Miss Erin TSANG
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2)7
I.Election of Chairman
Hon Albert HO was elected Chairman of the Bills Committee. He then took over the chairmanship for the ensuing discussion.
II.Internal discussion and date of next meeting
2. The meeting agreed that the Administration would be invited to attend the next meeting scheduled for 8 January 1997 at 8:30 am to brief members on the Bill as well as to provide the following information:
- whether China and other common law jurisdictions like the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, Singapore, Malaysia and South Africa had similar legislation on subversion and secession; and
- how the legislation was administered and enforced in those countries.
3. Members present also agreed that press advertisements on the South China Morning Post and Ming Pao should be issued to invite public views on the Bill. The meeting with the representatives of professional bodies and the public was scheduled for 18 January 1997 at 9:00 am.
4. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 2:30 pm.
18 December 1996
* other commitments
Last Updated on 21 Jan, 1997