LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 321/96-97
Ref : CB2/PL/HA
LegCo Panel on Home Affairs
Minutes of Working Group Meeting
held on Tuesday, 1 October 1996 at 2:30 p.m.
in Conference Room C of the Legislative Council Building
Members Present :
Hon Mrs Elizabeth WONG, ISO, JP (Chairman of the Working Group)
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Hon Christine LOH Kung-wai
Hon LEE Cheuk-yan
Hon Bruce LIU Sing-lee
Clerk in Attendance :
- Mrs Anna LO
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
Staff in Attendance :
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General 2
- Mr Raymond LAM
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 6
Third Periodic Report in respect of Hong Kong under Articles 2 to 16 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
(LegCo Paper Nos. CB(2) 2205/95-96)
Members examined, paragraph by paragraph, the first draft submission (Appendix I to LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 2205/95-96) to the United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (UNCESCR) and the revised version, based on Mr LAW Chi-kwongs suggestions, on "Comprehensive Social Security Assistance" tabled at the meeting (Appendix A to the minutes).
2. Apart from textual amendments, members agreed that more detailed statistics on the waiting period of Chinese immigrants for settlement in Hong Kong should be obtained from the Administration. It was also agreed, if appropriate, to incorporate Members views in the motion debates on "Disparity of wealth in Hong Kong" and "Review and prospects of the manpower resources training system in Hong Kong" on 9 October 1996 to the paragraphs on "Economic restructuring and income disparity" and "Job training for new immigrants" respectively. Members also agreed that further input should be sought from the Housing Panel for amplification of paragraphs relating to housing.
(Post-meeting note : The second draft submission, incorporating comments from members, was issued vide LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 122/96-97.)
Date of next meeting
3. The next meeting of the working group would be held at 10:45 a.m. on 15 October 1996 to consider the revised draft submission.
4. The meeting ended at 4:35 p.m.
24 October 1996
Last Updated on 19 August 1998