LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 130/96-97
Ref : CB2/PL/HA
LegCo Panel on Home Affairs
Minutes of Meeting
held on Thursday, 3 October 1996 at 9:00 a.m.
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Members Present :
Hon Albert HO Chun-yan (Chairman)
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Hon Zachary WONG Wai-yin
Hon LEE Cheuk-yan
Hon CHEUNG Hon-chung
Hon Ambrose LAU Hon-chuen, JP
Hon LAW Chi-kwong
Hon NGAN Kam-chuen
Hon Mrs Elizabeth WONG CHIEN Chi-lien, CBE, ISO, JP
Members Absent :
Hon LO Suk-ching (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Christine LOH Kung-wai
Hon Bruce LIU Sing-lee
Dr Hon John TSE Wing-ling
Clerk in Attendance :
- Mrs Anna LO
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
Staff in Attendance :
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General 2
- Mr Colin CHUI
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 2
- Mr Raymond LAM
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 6
Members noted that Mr Allen LEE, Mr LAU Wong-fat, Mr Andrew CHENG, and Mr CHOY Kan-pui had resigned from the Panel.
I. Election of Chairman
2. Mr HO Chun-yan and Mr LO Suk-ching were elected Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Panel respectively.
II. Terms of Reference
3. Members considered and agreed to the terms of reference at Appendix II to LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 2133/95-96.
III. Schedule of meetings for the 1996-97 session
4. The Chairman reminded members that pursuant to the House Committees decision on 16 December 1994, policy briefings for the 1996-97 session would be held at Panel meetings. The briefing for the Home Affairs Panel had been scheduled for 10 October 1996 at 2:15 p.m..
5. Members agreed that regular meetings of the Panel would be held on the fourth Friday of each month at 10:45 a.m. in Conference Room A of the Legislative Council Building.
IV. Items for discussion at the next meeting
6. Members went through the list of outstanding items for discussion at Appendix III to LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 2133/95-96 and agreed that the next meeting would be held on 25 October 1996 at 8:30 a.m. to discuss the following:
- Codes of Practice on Employment under Sex Discrimination Ordinance and Disability Discrimination Ordinance
- Integration of new immigrants from China into the community
- Submission to United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights on the Third Periodic Report in respect of Hong Kong under Articles 2 to 16 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
All other LegCo Members would be invited to the discussion of these items.
7. Members agreed on the continuation of the Subcommittee on Review of Advisory and Statutory Bodies. The Panel clerk would issue a circular re-opening the membership of the Subcommittee. It was noted that the Subcommittee had held two meetings and further meetings would be held with respective Policy Secretaries to discuss the transparency and representation of advisory bodies within their policy areas. The Chairman suggested the Subcommittee to report periodically to the Panel.
V. Any other business
Provision of information papers
8. As experience from the last session showed that the Administration had very often ignored the request for information papers to be provided on time, members agreed that the Clerk should write to the Secretary for Home Affairs to re-iterate:
- the need for documents to be provided simultaneously in Chinese and English to the Panel one week before the meetings;
- the need for documents to be made available as early as possible in respect of urgent meetings where only short notice can be given; and
- that the tabling of documents at meetings should be avoided as far as possible.
(Post-meeting note : The notice of meeting was issued vide LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 57/96-97.)
9. The meeting ended at 9:25 a.m..
Legislative Council Secretariat
14 October 1996
Last Updated on 19 August 1998