LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 74/96-97
Ref : CB1/PL/HG/1
LegCo Panel on Housing
Minutes of the Meeting
held on Wednesday, 2 October 1996, at 10:00 a.m.
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Hon LEE Wing-tat (Chairman)
Hon Frederick FUNG Kin-kee (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Mrs Selina CHOW, OBE, JP
Hon SZETO Wah
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, OBE, JP
Hon Albert CHAN Wai-yip
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon Fred LI Wah-ming
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Dr Hon YEUNG Sum
Hon Zachary WONG Wai-yin
Hon CHAN Kam-lam
Hon CHAN Yuen-han
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Hon Albert HO Chun-yan
Hon Bruce LIU Sing-lee
Hon SIN Chung-kai
Members absent :
Hon Edward S T HO, OBE, JP
Hon CHEUNG Hon-chung
Hon CHOY Kan-pui, JP
Hon LEUNG Yiu-chung
Hon LO Suk-ching
Clerk in attendance :
- Mrs Vivian KAM
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)2
Staff in attendance :
- Miss Pauline NG
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Miss Becky YU
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)3
- Mr Matthew LOO
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)4 (Des)
I. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
(Appendix I of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2129/95-96)
The Chairman reminded members that in accordance with Standing Order 60E(6), members who were chairmen/deputy chairmen of the government advisory body relevant to the Housing Panel, as given in Appendix I of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2129/95-96, would not be eligible to stand for election.
2. Hon LEE Wing-tat and Hon FUNG Kin-kee were elected Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Panel respectively.
II. Terms of reference
(Appendix II of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2129/95-96)
3. Members agreed that the current terms of reference for the Panel should continue.
III. Schedule of meetings for the 1996-97 session
4. Members agreed that future meetings of the Panel should be held on the first Monday of every month at 10:45 am.
IV. Items for discussion at the next meeting
(Appendix III of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2129/95-96)
5. Members agreed to discuss the following items at the next Panel meeting scheduled for Wednesday, 16 October 1996, at 10:45 am:
- Briefing by the Director of Housing; and
- Temporary Housing Area and Interim Housing.
6. Members also considered it useful to have updated information on the following subjects:
- Overcrowding relief in public housing estates;
- Security facilities in public housing estates; and
- Emergency alarm system in public housing estates.
The Clerk was requested to follow-up on these issues with the Administration.
7. Members agreed that the Subcommittee on Long Term Housing Strategy Review should continue and that the current Chairman of the Subcommittee should continue to hold office in the new session. The terms of reference which was "to conduct researches and monitor the Long Term Housing Strategy Review" would remain and the quorum of the Subcommittee would be three members including the Chairman. The Clerk was requested to issue a circular inviting members who were not yet members of the Subcommittee to signify membership.
8. Members considered it necessary for the Clerk to write to the Administration to re-iterate the need for documents to be provided simultaneously in Chinese and English to the Panel one week before the meetings or as early as practicable in the event of urgent meetings, and for the tabling of documents at meetings to be avoided as far as possible.
9. There being no other business, the meeting closed at 10:25 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
8 October 1996
Last Updated on 20 August 1998