LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 134/96-97
LegCo Panel on Health Services
Revised Minutes of Meeting held on Thursday, 3 October 1996 at 12:30 p.m. in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council BuildingMembers Present :
Hon Michael HO Mun-ka (Chairman)Members Absent :
Dr Hon LEONG Che-hung, OBE, JP (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Howard YOUNG, JP
Dr Hon LAW Chi-kwong
Hon MOK Ying-fan
Dr Hon HUANG Chen-ya, MBE *Clerk in Attendance :
Dr Hon YEUNG Sum ] other commitments*
Hon CHAN Yuen-han*
Staff in Attendance :
- Ms Doris CHAN
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2)4
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General (2)
- Mr Alfred CHAU
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2)4
I. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
1. Members were invited to note that in accordance with Standing Order 60E(6), those who were chairmen/deputy chairmen of the government advisory bodies/committees relevant to the Health Services Panel at Appendix I of the agenda would not be eligible to stand for election.
2. Mr Michael HO Mun-ka and Dr LEONG Che-hung were elected Chairman and Deputy Chairman respectively.
II. Terms of Reference
3. Members agreed that no changes were required.
III. Items for discussion
4. Members agreed that for each meeting only two discussion items should be scheduled leaving some time for any topical issue that might come up.
Meeting on 11 November 1996
5. Members agreed to further discuss items (5) and (6) of the list of outstanding items for discussion, namely "Private practice of university medical consultants and specialists" and "Role and governance of Prince Philip Dental Hospital" at the Panel meeting on 11 November 1996. As the Administration was unable to answer many of members questions on these two items at the meeting held on 9 September 1996, it was necessary to ensure that the appropriate representatives of the two universities concerned were invited to the meeting.
6. It was agreed that the Panel should write to the two universities concerned direct with a copy to the Education and Manpower Branch.
Meeting on 14 October 1996
7. Members agreed to discuss the following items at the next regular meeting on 14 October 1996:
- Accident and emergency services in public hospitals; and
- Dental service in public hospitals.
Other items for discussion/follow-up
8. The Chairman suggested and members agreed that item (10) "Registration of Dental Surgery Assistants, Dental Technicians, Dental Therapists and Dental Hygienists" should be accorded priority for discussion.
9. Members also agreed that the Clerk should write to ask the Administration to report progress on the following items:
- Registration of allied health personnel; and
- Manpower problem of Siu Lam Psychiatric Centre.
10. Members agreed that the item on adverse effects of Black Point power lines on health and the environment should be followed up by the LegCo Panel on Environmental Affairs.
IV. Schedule of meetings for the 1996-97 session
11. Members agreed that regular meetings of the Panel would be held on the second Monday of each month at 8:30 a.m.
12. As the second Monday in June 1997 was a public holiday, members agreed to meet on Tuesday, 10 June 1997 instead.
V. Any other business
13. Members agreed that the Clerk should write to the Secretary for Health and Welfare to reiterate the Panels request for early submission of information papers.
14. The meeting ended at 12:50 p.m.
28 October 1996
* other commitments
Last Updated on 19 August 1998