LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 213/96-97
Ref : CB2/PL/PS/1
LegCo Panel on Public Service
Minutes of Meeting held on Wednesday, 2 October 1996 at 11:00 a.m.
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Members Present :
Hon IP Kwok-him(Chairman)
Hon LEE Kai-ming (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, OBE, JP
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon Michael HO Mun-ka
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing
Hon LEE Cheuk-yan
Hon CHAN Wing-chan
Hon CHENG Yiu-tong
Dr Hon Anthony CHEUNG Bing-leung
Hon David CHU Yu-lin
Members Absent :
Hon Allen LEE Peng-fei, CBE, JP *
Dr Hon LAW Cheung-kwok *
Hon Mrs Elizabeth WONG, CBE, ISO, JP *
Clerk in Attendance :
- Mrs Sharon TONG
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2)1
Staff in Attendance :
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General 2
- Miss Salumi CHAN
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2)1
- Mr Paul WOO
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2)5
I. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
(Appendix 1 to LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 2185/95-96)
Before calling for nominations, Hon IP Kwok-him invited members to go through the list of government advisory bodies relevant to the terms of reference of the Panel. He drew members attention to the requirement in Standing Orders 60E(6) that a Member who was a chairman or deputy chairman of a government advisory body in respect of matters which a Panel considered to be directly related to its terms of reference should not be the chairman or deputy chairman of the Panel.
2. Hon IP Kwok-him and Hon LEE Kai-ming were elected Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Panel respectively.
II. Terms of Reference
(Appendix 2 to LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 2185/95-96)
(LegCo Paper Nos. CB(2) 1922 and 1930/95-96)
3. Members agreed to adopt the terms of reference of the Panel as set out in the Appendix.
III. Schedule of Meetings for the 1996-97 Session
4. Members agreed to follow the existing time-slot for conducting Panel meetings, i.e. the fourth Monday of each month at 10:45 am. The next meeting of the Panel was scheduled for 28 October 1996 at 10:45 am. The Chairman asked the Clerk to issue a meeting schedule for the 1996-97 session for members reference.
[Post-meeting note : A schedule setting out the tentative dates for meetings for the 1996-97 session has been issued to members on 3 October 1996.]
IV. Items for Discussion at the Next Meeting
(Appendix 3 to LegCo Paper No. CB(2) 2185/95-96)
5. Members agreed that the following items be discussed at the meeting on 28 October 1996 :
- Terms and conditions of service for new recruits;
- Update on Her Majestys Overseas Civil Service;
- Review on the achievements of the informal get-togethers between senior civil servants and Chinese Officials; and
- Transition of the civil service.
6. The Chairman would raise with the Chairman of the Panel on Security on holding a joint discussion on the issue of localization of the Police Force.
[Post-meeting note : A joint meeting with the Panel on Security to discuss the staff wastage in and localization of the Police Force has been scheduled at 10:00 am on 28 October 1996.]
V. Any Other Business
Provision of papers by the Administration
7. As experience from the last session, the Administration had on occasions failed to meet the Panels request for papers to be provided on time, members agreed that the Clerk should write to the Secretary for the Civil Service to reiterate the following points :
- the need for documents to be provided simultaneously in Chinese and English to the Panel one week before the meetings;
- the need for documents to be made available as early as possible in respect of urgent meetings where only short notice can be given; and
- that the tabling of documents at meetings should be avoided as far as possible.
8. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 11:20 am.
9 October 1996
* -- Other Commitments
Last Updated on 21 August 1998