An Ordinance to amend provisions of the Merchant Shipping (Registration) Ordinance relating to the proper colours of a registered ship to ensure conformity with the Basic Law of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China and with the status of Hong Kong as a Special
Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
[1 July 1997]
Enacted by the Provisional Legislative Council.
1. Short title and commencement
- This Ordinance may be cited as the Merchant Shipping (Registration) (Amendment) Ordinance 1998.
- This Ordinance shall be deemed to have come into operation on
1 July 1997.
- Subsection (2) shall be subject to article 12 of the Hong Kong Bill of Rights set out in Part II of the Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance
2. Proper colours
Section 37 of the Merchant Shipping (Registration) Ordinance (Cap. 415) is amended ---
- in subsection (2), by repealing "shall" and substituting "shall, unless exempted by the Director under subsection (2A),";
- by adding ---
"(2A) The Director may exempt a registered ship from the requirement to fly the proper colours under
3. Schedule substituted
Schedule 1 is repealed and the following substituted --
[ss. 37 & 92]
Proper Colours of a Registered Ship
The national flag of the People's Republic of China flown directly above the regional flag of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. The specifications of the national flag and the regional flag are as respectively set out in Schedule 1 to the National Flag and National Emblem Ordinance (116 of 1997) and Schedule 1 to the Regional Flag and Regional Emblem Ordinance (117 of 1997).".