Provisional Legislative Council
PLC Paper No. 502/96-97
Ref : PLC/HC/4
House Committee of the Provisional Legislative Council
Minutes of the meeting held at the Main Hall, Huaxia Art Centre, Shenzhen at 5:20 p.m. on Saturday, 21 June 1997
Dr the Honourable LEONG Che-hung (Chairman)
The Honourable IP Kwok-him (Deputy Chairman)
The Honourable WONG Siu-yee
The Honourable HO Sai-chu
The Honourable HO Sing-tin, Edward
Dr the Honourable HO Chung-tai
The Honourable NG Leung-sing
Prof the Honourable NG Ching-fai
The Honourable LI Ka-cheung, Eric
The Honourable LEE Kai-ming
The Honourable LEE Peng-fei, Allen
The Honourable Mrs TU, Elsie
The Honourable Mrs CHOW LIANG Shuk-yee, Selina
The Honourable Mrs LAM, Peggy
The Honourable WU, Henry
The Honourable ARCULLI, Ronald
The Honourable YUEN Mo
The Honourable Mrs TSO WONG Man-yin
The Honourable Mrs LEUNG LAU Yau-fun, Sophie
The Honourable MOK Ying-fan
The Honourable HUI Yin-fat
The Honourable CHAN Choi-hi
The Honourable CHAN Yuen-han
The Honourable CHAN Wing-chan
The Honourable CHAN Kam-lam
The Honourable TSANG Yok-sing
The Honourable CHENG Kai-nam
The Honourable FUNG Kin-kee, Frederick
Dr the Honourable WONG Yu-hong, Philip
The Honourable YOUNG, Howard
The Honourable YEUNG Chun-kam
The Honourable YEUNG Yiu-chung
The Honourable LIU Sing-lee, Bruce
The Honourable LAU Kong-wah
The Honourable Mrs LAU Kin-yee, Miriam
The Honourable LAU Hon-chuen, Ambrose
The Honourable CHOY Kan-pui
The Honourable CHENG Yiu-tong
The Honourable FOK Tsun-ting, Timothy
Dr The Honourable LAW Cheung-kwok
The Honourable TAM Wai-chu, Maria
The Honourable TIEN Pei-chun, James
The Honourable CHU Yu-lin, David
The Honourable LI Kwok-po, David
The Honourable NGAI Shiu-kit
The Honourable TANG Ying-yen, Henry
The Honourable MA Fung-kwok
The Honourable CHEUNG Hon-chung
The Honourable LEUNG Chun-ying
The Honourable WONG Wang-fat, Andrew
The Honourable WONG Ying-ho, Kennedy
The Honourable CHIM Pui-chung
The Honourable LAU Wong-fat
The Honourable CHENG Ming-fun, Paul
Dr the Honourable TANG Siu-tong
The Honourable KAN Fook-yee
The Honourable NGAN Kam-chuen
The Honourable LO Suk-ching
The Honourable TAM Yiu-chung
Clerk in attendance:
Staff in attendance:
|Ms Pauline NG||Clerk to the House Committee|
|Mr Arthur CHEUNG||Legal Adviser
|Miss Salumi CHAN||Committee Clerk 2
|Mr Raymond LAM||Assistant Committee Clerk 5
I. Confirmation of the minutes of the 9th meeting on 14 June 1997
(PLC Paper No. 471/96-97)
The minutes were confirmed.
II. Business for the Council meeting on 1 July 1997
2. The Chairman advised that no formal notice had so far been received for any item of business for the Council meeting on 1 July. However, it was known that the Chief Executive's Office would present the Reunification Bill to the Council for three readings at this meeting.
III. Business for the Council meeting on 9 July 1997
3. The Chairman reminded members that as agreed at the last meeting, Members' speaking time on the Bill would be restricted to three minutes.
IV. Report of Subcommittee
4. Members noted that no formal notice had so far been received on the first and second readings of bills and resumption of debate on the second reading of bills for the Council meeting on 9 July.
- Resumption of debate on the motion on "Increasing the Standard Rate under the Comprehensive Social Security Assistance Scheme for the Elderly"
5. Members noted that Mr CHAN Choi-hi had given notice to resume debate on the above motion at the Council meeting on 9 July.
- (ii) Motion on "Resolving the problems left by the previous Government which affect the livelihood of the populace"
6. The Chairman advised that Ms CHAN Yuen-han had given notice to move the above motion at the Council meeting on 9 July. The draft wordings of the motion were tabled at the meeting. The Chairman reminded members that any amendment to the motion should be forwarded to the Secretariat on or before Friday, 27 June.
V. Any Other business
- Report of the Subcommittee on the Consultation Paper on Reunification Bill
7. The Chairman advised that the Subcommittee on the Consultation Paper on Reunification Bill had just completed its study on the draft Reunification Bill that afternoon and that the Secretary of Justice had noted Members' views and would amend the draft bill as appropriate. Members should forward their further views on the Bill, if any, to the Secretariat as soon as possible.
(Post-meeting note : The written report of the Subcommittee (PLC Paper No. 499/96-97) was issued to Members on 25 June under the cover of PLC Paper No. 503 /96-97.)
VI. Date of next meeting
- Logistical arrangements for the Council meeting on 1 July 1997
(PLC Paper No. 483/96-97(01), (02), (03) tabled at the meeting)
8. The Chairman referred members to the following papers tabled at the meeting :
- Seating plan for the Council meeting on 1 July 1997 ;
- Oath of Office of Members of the Provisional Legislative Council ; and
- Brief information provided by the Handover Ceremony Coordination Office on the ceremonies and activities to be conducted on 30 June and 1 July 1997.
9. The Chairman advised members that a rehearsal for the swearing-in ceremony would be conducted on Sunday, 29 June from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at Hall 3 of the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (HKCEC) Extension. Members should arrive 10 minutes earlier than the scheduled time.
10. In response to a member's enquiry on the transportation arrangements, the Clerk advised that members might complete the "Reply Slip on Flight Schedule and Transport Requirement" attached to PLC Paper No. 483/96-97(03) and return it to the Secretariat for follow-up action.
11. The Chairman suggested that any members who had not yet received the invitation cards for the relevant ceremonies and activities should approach the Secretariat as soon as possible so that clarification with the relevant authorities could be made.
- Seminar for Provisional Legislative Council Members on 3 July 1997
(PLC Paper No. 483/96-97(04) tabled at the meeting)
12. The Chairman advised members that a seminar would be conducted on Thursday, 3 July at 2:30 p.m. in Conference Room A of the Legislative Council Building to introduce the services provided by the various divisions of the Secretariat and the facilities of the Legislative Council Building. He drew members' attention to the proposed programme outline of the seminar and the organizational structure of the Secretariat as at 1 July 1997 tabled at the meeting. He urged members to attend the seminar.
- Consultation on the Recommendations of the Working Group on Rules of Procedure to amend the Rules of Procedure
13. Mrs Selina CHOW, Convenor of the Working Group on Rules of Procedure, reported that the Working Group had discussed at its meeting held during lunch time that day most of the issues on the marker list of the Rules of Procedure and would submit its recommendations to the House Committee on its proposed amendments later. Among the matters discussed were the future of the Working Group on Rules of Procedure and the formation of Panels. Regarding the future of the Working Group, members of the Working Group considered that an independent committee should be set up under the Council to take over the work of the Working Group. As for the formation of Panels, the Working Group would continue its discussion on the subject at its next meeting to be held after 1 July. Meanwhile, members were welcome to forward their views on the subject, if any, to the Working Group.
14. The Chairman advised that as this was the last House Committee meeting before the handover on 1 July 1997, he would like to take this opportunity to thank the Shenzhen authorities and the Secretariat for their valuable support and assistance during the past few months. Mrs Selina CHOW also showed her great appreciation of the hard work and devotion of the Secretariat under the capable leadership of Ms Pauline NG, Clerk to the Provisional Legislative Council.
15. The Chairman advised members that the next House Committee meeting would be held on Friday, 4 July 1997 at 2:30 p.m. in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building.
16. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 5:35 p.m.
Provisional Legislative Council Secretariat
21 June 1997