PLC Paper No. CB(3) 531
Paper for the House Committee meeting
on 9 January 1998
Report of the Parliamentary Liaison Subcommittee
Proposed visit to Singapore
This paper seeks the House Committee's endorsement of the recommendations of the Parliamentary Liaison Subcommittee on its terms of reference and on the invitation from the Singapore Parliament's Hong Kong-Singapore Parliamentary Friendship Group to visit Singapore, and reports on the Subcommittee's proposals relating to the visit.
2.At the House Committee meeting on 28 November 1997, Members agreed to form a Parliamentary Liaison Subcommittee to provide overall coordination of all parliamentary liaison activities between the Council and other parliamentary organisations outside Hong Kong; consider future proposals for setting up friendship groups; and consider matters relating to the invitation to visit Singapore.
3.The Subcommittee, consisting of 11 Members (Appendix I), met on 12 December 1997 and 6 January 1998 to consider the various tasks as set out in paragraph 2 above. The Subcommittee has agreed to put forward the following recommendations to the House Committee:
Visit to Singapore
- that the proposed terms of reference of the Subcommittee, as set out in Appendix II, be endorsed;
- that having regard to the brief term of the Provisional Legislative Council (PLC), the formation of parliamentary friendship groups is not necessary. The Subcommittee will, however, concentrate on liaison with parliamentary bodies which are interested in establishing contacts with the Council; and
- that the invitation to visit Singapore should be accepted.
4.The Subcommittee proposes the following:
- Dates of visit
The visit should start on Thursday 12 February 1998 and end on Sunday 15 February 1998;
- Size of the delegation
The delegation should comprise ten Members and one Secretariat staff. All PLC Members should be invited to indicate interest in joining the delegation on or before Friday 16 January 1998. If by that date, more than ten Members have indicated interest, the Subcommittee should be authorized to select ten Members to join the delegation; and
- Programme of the visit
A tentative programme has been proposed by the Singapore host, and will be worked out once the delegation has been formed. It is intended that the programme includes meetings with/briefings by the Speaker of the Singapore Parliament, officials responsible for trade, labour and finance, the Singapore Urban Redevelopment Authority, and the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office officials etc.
5.Members are invited to endorse the recommendations set out in paragraphs 3 and 4 above.
Provisional Legislative Council Secretariat
Parliamentary Liaison Subcommittee
|Hon Edward HO Sing-tin, JP (Chairman)
|Prof Hon NG Ching-fai (Deputy Chairman)
|Hon David CHU Yu-lin
|Hon Allen LEE, JP
|Hon Eric LI Ka-cheung, JP
|Hon David LI Kwok-po, JP
|Hon Mrs Peggy LAM, JP
|Hon Ronald Arculli, JP
|Dr Hon LEONG Che-hung, JP
|Hon Ambrose LAU Hon-chuen, JP
|Hon KAN Fook-yee
Proposed Terms of Reference of
Parliamentary Liaison Subcommittee
- To promote liaison and develop good relationship with parliamentary bodies;
- To consider proposals for the formation of friendship groups with legislatures outside Hong Kong;
- To deal with all matters pertaining to the activities of parliamentary friendship groups, including sending delegations to outside Hong Kong and hosting activities with delegations visiting Hong Kong; and
- To make recommendations to the House Committee in respect of the above.