Provisional Legislative Council
PLC Paper No. 238/96-97
Ref. : PLC/HC/1
Paper for the House Committee
Meeting on 17 May 1997
Ceremonial and Logistical Arrangements
for 1 July 1997
This paper outlines the programmes being planned for the early hours of 1 July 1997 in which Members of the Provisional Legislative Council (the Council) will take part, and seeks Members' agreement to set up a task force to collate views and make recommendations on the logistical arrangements so as to facilitate liaison with other parties and advance planning by the Secretariat of the Council (the Secretariat) as soon as possible.
Programmes being planned for the early hours of 1 July 1997
2.As far as the Secretariat can ascertain, the following programmes which involve the participation of Members of the Council are being planned for the early hours of 1 July 1997 :
Matters for consideration
- The Handover Ceremony (which is to last until after midnight);
- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Inauguration Ceremony;
- Members of the Council to be sworn-in;
- The Council to meet to endorse the appointment of the judges of the Court of Final Appeal and the Chief Judge of the High Court after the meeting of the Judicial Officers Recommendation Commission for the appointment of judges; and
- The Council to meet to confirm the passage of bills passed before 1 July 1997.
3.It is very likely that the Council will have to meet twice in the early hours of 1 July 1997. Coupled with the ceremonial activities, Members of the Council will be working on a very tight schedule. It is therefore essential to deliberate on and make decisions on the following issues so as to enable advance planning, especially on the logistical aspects, to commence as soon as possible:
- where and how the first and second meetings of the Council on 1 July should be conducted;
- how the swearing-in of Members of the Council should be conducted; and
- in what manner would Members be expected to take part in other official functions, e.g. the Celebration Ceremony.
4.Although there is only limited information on the programmes on 1 July 1997, a lot of preparatory work needs to be done between now and 1 July. It seems worthwhile for the House Committee to set up a task force to maintain communication with the parties concerned and to recommend to the House Committee on matters such as the method of swearing-in, seating arrangements at the ceremonies, logistical arrangements for the two Council meetings, etc.
5.Members are requested to advise if a task force should be set up under the House Committee to study and make recommendations on the arrangements for 1 July 1997.
Provisional Legislative Council Secretariat
15 May 1997