Ref:CB2/T/1 PLC Paper No. CB(2)666
Paper for House Committee Meeting
on 28 November 1997
Election of Provisional Legislative Council Members to
Council of the Chinese University of Hong Kong
This paper invites Members to consider the nomination and election procedure for three Provisional Legislative Council Members to be elected to serve on the Council of the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
2. Under Statute 11 of the Chinese University of Hong Kong Ordinance (Cap.1109), the University Council shall consist of, among others, three persons elected by Members of the Legislative Council from among their own number. The term of office is for three years. However, a Member will cease to hold office if he or she ceases to be a Member of the Legislative Council during the three-year term. The Council meets four to five times a year. The composition, power and duties of the University Council, as provided in subparagraphs 1 and 8 of Statute 11, are set out in the Appendix for Members�easy reference.
Nomination and Election Procedure
3. It is recommended that the nomination and election procedure should be the same as that for appointment of Members to the Disaster Relief Fund Advisory Committee, Po Leung Kuk Advisory Board, Tung Wah Group of Hospitals Advisory Board and the Court of the University of Hong Kong. The procedure which was previously approved by the House Committee is as follows -
- Nomination and election shall be conducted at a House Committee meeting;
- For a nomination to be valid, it should be made orally by a Member, seconded by at least one other Member and accepted by the Member being nominated; and
If there is objection to a nomination or if the number of nomination exceeds that required, a vote will be taken by a show of hands.
4. Members are invited to approve the nomination and election procedure proposed in paragraph 3 above.
5. Subject to Members�approval of the nomination and election procedure, Members will be invited to elect three Members to serve on the University Council at the House Committee meeting on 5 December 1997.
Provisional Legislative Council Secretariat
26 November 1997
Last Updated on 4 December 1997