Provisional Legislative Council
PLC Paper No. CB(1) 144
Panel on Economic Services
Minutes of meeting held on Tuesday, 22 July 1997, at 2:00 p.m. in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Dr Hon LAW Cheung-kwok (Deputy Chairman)
Hon HO Sai-chu, JP
Hon Allen LEE, JP
Hon Henry WU
Hon YUEN Mo
Hon CHAN Choi-hi
Hon CHAN Kam-lam
Hon Howard YOUNG, JP
Dr Hon Charles YEUNG Chun-kam
Hon Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee, JP
Hon Ambrose LAU Hon-chuen, JP
Hon TAM Yiu-chung, JP
Members absent :
Hon James TIEN Pei-chun, JP (Chairman)
Dr Hon David LI Kwok-po, JP
Hon Henry TANG Ying-yen, JP
Hon CHAN Yuen-han
Hon Paul CHENG Ming-fun, JP
Hon LO Suk-ching
Clerk in attendance :
Staff in attendance :
- Ms Estella CHAN,
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)4
- Mr Andy LAU,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)6
- Mr Daniel HUI,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)7
I.Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
(Appendix I - List of Government Advisory Body relevant to the Panel)
Members agreed that Mr HO Sai-chu should preside over the election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman. Mr HO Sai-chu invited nominations for the Chairman. Mr James TIEN Pei-chun was nominated by Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee and seconded by Mr Ambrose LAU Hon-chuen. (Note: Mr TIEN*s acceptance of the nomination had been confirmed.)
2.There being no other nomination, Mr James TIEN Pei-chun was declared elected as Chairman of the Panel.
3.Mr HO Sai-chu invited nominations for the Deputy Chairman. Dr LAW Cheung-kwok was nominated by Mr Charles YEUNG Chun-kam and seconded by Mr TAM Yiu-chung. Dr LAW Cheung-kwok accepted the nomination.
4.There being no other nomination, Dr LAW Cheung-kwok was declared elected as Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
5.As the Chairman was absent, the Deputy Chairman took over the chair for the meeting.
II. Schedule of meetings for the session
6. Members agreed that regular meetings would be held at 10:45 am on the first Monday of each month and the next meeting would be held at 10:45 am on 1 September 1997. Subsequent meeting dates up to end of 1997 were 6 October, 3 November and 1 December 1997.
III.Items for discussion at the next meeting
7. Members noted that there was no outstanding item carried over from the Panel on Economic Services of the previous Council and agreed on the following agenda items for the meeting on 1 September 1997 :
- Briefing by the Administration on the policy objectives of the Economic Services Bureau, including an update on the progress of the new airport at Chek Lap Kok; and
- An update on port services including port control, tendering of public cargo working areas, and location and development of Container Terminals No. 10 and 11.
8. At Mr Howard YOUNG*s suggestion, the Panel agreed to discuss the Hong Kong Tourist Association*s feasibility study on organizing a major function in Hong Kong in year 2001 at a future meeting.
IV.Any other business
9.There being no other business, the meeting ended at 2:20 p.m.
Provisional Legislative Council Secretariat
14 August 1997