Provisional Legislative Council
PLC Paper No. CB(2)147
Ref : CB2/PL/HS
Provisional Legislative Council
Panel on Health Services
Minutes of Meeting held on Tuesday, 22 July 1997 at 2:30 pm
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Dr Hon TANG Siu-tong, JP (Chairman)
Dr Hon LEONG Che-hung, JP (Deputy Chairman)
Hon WONG Siu-yee
Hon Allen LEE, JP
Hon Henry WU
Hon CHEUNG Hon-chung
Dr Hon Mrs TSO WONG Man-yin
Hon CHAN Yuen-han
Hon CHENG Kai-nam
Hon Howard YOUNG, JP
Member Absent :
Hon MOK Ying-fan
Clerk in Attendance :
Staff in Attendance :
- Ms Doris CHAN
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 4
- Mr Stanley MA
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 9
- Ms Joanne MAK
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 4
I. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
(PLC Paper No. CB(2)52)
Mr Allen LEE was elected as presiding member for the election meeting.
2. Mr LEE reminded the meeting that members who were chairman/deputy chairman of the government advisory body relevant to the Health Panel, as given in Appendix I of PLC Paper No. CB(2)52, would not be eligible to stand for election.
3. Dr LEONG Che-hung nominated Dr TANG Siu-tong as Chairman of the Panel. Mr WONG Siu-yee and Mr Henry WU seconded the nomination. There being no other nominations, Mr LEE declared Dr TANG Siu-tong as Chairman of the Panel. Dr TANG Siu-tong then took over chairmanship of the meeting.
4. Dr TSO WONG Man-yin nominated Dr LEONG Che-hung as Deputy Chairman of the Panel. Mr Allen LEE seconded the nomination. There being no other nominations, the Chairman declared Dr LEONG Che-hung Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
II. Terms of Reference
5. Members noted the terms of reference which had been approved by the Council at its meeting on 16 July 1997.
III. Schedule of meetings for the session
6. Members agreed to hold the first meeting on 19 August 1997 at 8:30 am and the other regular meetings at 8:30 am on the second Monday of each month.
IV. Items for discussion
7. In addition to the five issues on the list of outstanding items which was tabled at the meeting, members agreed that the following issues should also be discussed by the Panel -
- investigation into the cause of infection of patients with AIDS virus through blood transfusion;
- manpower review of medical doctors, including the over supply of medical graduates in Hong Kong;
- assessment of the new Student Health Service and the Administration ' s view on the proposal to amalgamate the old scheme and the new service; and
- health care financing system.
Items for discussion at the meeting on 19 August 1997
8. Having regard to the urgency of the two items in paragraph 5(a) and (b) above, members agreed to discuss them at the first meeting.
|9. Members agreed to ask the Research and Library Services Division (RLSD) of the PLC Secretariat to conduct researches on the following four topics related to the health care system in Hong Kong -
- the long-term health care policy;
- health care financing;
- the existing charging policy on public health care services; and
- medical services for the elderly.
10.The meeting ended at 2:48 pm.
Provisional Legislative Council Secretariat
15 August 1997