LC Paper No. CB(2) 1747/98-99
Paper for the House Committee meetingPurpose
on 23 April 1999
Nomination of Member to
Court of the University of Hong Kong
This paper invites Members to nominate and elect one Member to serve on the Court of the University of Hong Kong.
2. Under Statute XV of the University of Hong Kong Ordinance (Cap. 1053), the University Court shall consist of, among others, five persons elected by Members of the Legislative Council from among their own number. At the meeting of the House Committee on 23 October 1998, the following Members were elected to serve on the Court of the University of Hong Kong -
Hon Mrs Selina CHOW LIANG Shuk-yee, JP
Hon YEUNG Yiu-chung
Hon LAU Chin-shek, JP
Hon Ambrose LAU Hon-chuen, JP
3. As the term of office of Hon James TO, the other court member, will expire on 29 April 1999, Members are invited to nominate and elect a Member to serve on the University Court.
4. Members are invited to note that although the membership of the Court of the University of Hong Kong is for three years, the University Court has recently approved a recommendation to the Chancellor that certain sub-paragraphs of Statute XV be amended so as to specify that elected members of the Court shall be deemed to have resigned from the Court if they cease to be members of the body which elected them.
5. Members will recall that elections for Members to serve on other advisory bodies were held at the House Committee meetings on 10 July 1998 and 23 October 1998. The following Members were elected -
|(a) Disaster Relief Fund Advisory Committee
||Hon Mrs Sophie LEUNG LAU Yau-fun, JP
Hon LAU Chin-shek, JP
|(b) Po Leung Kuk Advisory Board
||Hon David CHU Yu-lin
|(c) Tung Wah Group of Hospitals Advisory Board
||Hon Gary CHENG Kai-nam
|(d) Council of the Chinese University of Hong Kong
||Hon James TIEN Pei-chun, JP
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon CHAN Kam-lam
|(e) The English Schools Foundation
||Hon Jasper TSANG Yok-sing, JP
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, JP
6. The election procedure which was approved by the House Committee meeting on 6 July 1998 is as follows : a valid nomination shall be made orally by a Member, seconded by at least one other Member, and accepted by the Member being nominated. A Member who nominates a Member who is absent from the meeting when the nomination is made shall state that the absent Member's acceptance of the nomination has been secured. If there is objection to a nomination or if the number of nominations exceeds that required for appointment, a vote will be taken by a show of hands.
7. Members are invited to nominate and elect a Member to serve on the Court of the University of Hong Kong at the House Committee meeting on 23 April 1999.
Legislative Council Secretariat
20 April 1999