LC Paper No. CB(2)117/98-99
Ref : CB2/PL/CA
Panel on Constitutional Affairs
Minutes of meeting
Members Present :
held on Tuesday, 14 July 1998 at 3:00 pm
in the Chamber of Legislative Council Building
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing, JP (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, JP
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon Christine LOH
Hon Gary CHENG Kai-nam
Hon Jasper TSANG Yok-sing, JP
Dr Hon YEUNG Sum
Hon Ambrose LAU Hon-chuen, JP
Hon Andrew WONG Wang-fat, JP (Chairman)
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Hon Martin LEE Chu-ming, SC, JP
Hon Margaret NG
Hon Ambrose CHEUNG Wing-sum, JP
Hon Howard YOUNG, JP
Hon CHIM Pui-chung
Hon SZETO Wah
Clerk in Attendance:
Staff in Attendance:
- Mrs Percy MA
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2)3
I. Election of Presiding Member
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General 2
- Mr Paul WOO
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2)3
In accordance with the election procedure circulated to members on 11 July 1998 in Appendix IV of LC Paper No. CB(2) 29/98-99, the Clerk called for nominations for the presiding Member.
2. Mr Ambrose LAU was nominated by Dr YEUNG Sum and the nomination was seconded by Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong. Mr Ambrose LAU accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Clerk declared that Mr Ambrose LAU was elected as the presiding Member.
II. Election of Chairman
3. Mr Ambrose LAU took the chair and called for nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel.
4. Mr Andrew WONG, who was not present at the meeting, was nominated by Dr YEUNG Sum. Members noted that Mr Andrew WONG's acceptance of the nomination had been obtained prior to the meeting. The nomination was seconded by Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong. There being no other nomination, the presiding Member declared that Mr Andrew WONG was elected as Chairman of the Panel.
III. Election of Deputy Chairman
5. Mr Ambrose LAU called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship of the Panel.
6. Ms Emily LAU was nominated by Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong and the nomination was seconded by Dr YEUNG Sum. Ms Emily LAU accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the presiding member declared that Ms Emily LAU was elected as Deputy Chairman of the Panel. In the absence of Mr Andrew WONG, the Chairman, Ms Emily LAU took the chair.
IV. Schedule of meetings for the 1998-99 session
7. After discussion, the meeting agreed that subject to the concurrence of Mr Andrew WONG, the Chairman, future regular meetings of the Panel would normally be held on the third Monday of each month at 2:30 pm in Conference Room A of the Legislative Council (LegCo) Building. The next Panel meeting would be held on Monday, 20 July 1998 at 2:30 pm and that following the summer break of the Council in August, the regular monthly meeting would resume in September.
(Post meeting note: Mr Andrew WONG, the Chairman, agreed to the meeting schedule for the 1998-99 session.)
V. Discussion items for next meeting
(List of issues to be considered by the Panel in Appendix attached)
8. Members discussed the list of issues to be considered by the Panel, which had been tabled at the meeting.
Adaptation of laws
9. Members noted that the Administration would introduce the bill on adaptation of laws regarding the Legislative Council (Powers and Privileges) Ordinance, the Legislative Council Commission Ordinance and the Private Bill Ordinance before the end of 1998. The Clerk informed members that according to the Administration, it would be able to brief members on the bill in October. Members agreed to discuss the item nearer the time.
Review of district organisations
|10. Members noted that the deadline for public comments on a Consultation Document on the Review of District Organisations would expire on 31 July 1998 and that a motion debate on review of district organisations would take place at the meeting of the LegCo on 29 July 1998. Members agreed to invite the Administration to brief the Panel on the consultation document at the next Panel meeting. All other Members would be invited to attend the next Panel meeting for discussion of this subject.
Review of 1998 LegCo election
11. At the suggestion of the Deputy Chairman, members agreed to invite the Administration to attend the next meeting to brief members on the Administration's review of the 1998 LegCo election. The Panel would also discuss at the next meeting how the subject matter and other related issues should be followed up at subsequent meetings.
12. Ms Christine LOH asked whether the Panel should follow up on the motion debate on "Direct elections" which might have constitutional implications. Pending outcome of the motion debate to be held at the Council meeting on 15 July 1998, members agreed that a decision be deferred to the next meeting.
13. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 3:20 pm.
Legislative Council Secretariat
28 July 1998