LC Paper No. CB(2)99/98-99
Ref : CB2/PL/ED
LegCo Panel on Education
Minutes of Meeting
held on Tuesday, 14 July 1998 at 4:20 pm
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Hon YEUNG Yiu-chung (Chairman)
Prof Hon NG Ching-fai (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Mrs Selina CHOW LIANG Shuk-yee, JP
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon LEUNG Yiu-chung
Hon SIN Chung-kai
Dr Hon YEUNG Sum
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing, JP
Hon SZETO Wah
Hon Andrew WONG Wang-fat, JP
Hon CHOY So-yuk
Clerk in Attendance:
Staff in Attendance:
- Mrs Constance LI
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
I. Election of Presiding Member
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General 2
- Miss Flora TAI
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 2
- Mr Stanley MA
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 6
In accordance with the election procedure circulated to members on 11 July 1998 under LC Paper No.CB(2)27/98-99, the Clerk called for nominations for the presiding Member.
2. Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong was nominated by Dr YEUNG Sum and the nomination was seconded by Mr YEUNG Yiu-chung. Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Clerk declared that Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong was elected as the presiding Member.
II. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
3. Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong took the chair and called for nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel.
4. Dr YEUNG Sum nominated Mr YEUNG Yiu-chung as Chairman of the Panel and the nomination was seconded by Prof NG Ching-fai. Mr YEUNG Yiu-chung accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the presiding Member declared that Mr YEUNG Yiu-chung was elected as Chairman of the Panel. Mr YEUNG Yiu-chung then took the chair.
5. The Chairman called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship of the Panel.
6. Dr YEUNG Sum nominated Prof NG Ching-fai as Deputy Chairman of the Panel and the nomination was seconded by Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong. Prof NG Ching-fai accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Chairman declared that Prof NG Ching-fai was elected as Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
III. Schedule of meetings for the session
7. Members agreed to hold the next meeting on Tuesday, 28 July 1998 at 2:30 pm and subsequent regular meetings at 2:30 pm on the fourth Monday of each month from September 1998 onwards.
IV. Items for discussion at the next meeting
8. Members discussed the list of issues to be considered (Appendix) which was tabled at the meeting. Members also noted that a Finance Committee agenda item on the extension of the non-means-tested loan scheme was scheduled for discussion at a Finance Committee meeting on 17 July 1998. Members agreed to discuss the following items at the next meeting -
- Consultation document on information technology for quality education (Members of the LegCo Panel on Information Technology and Broadcasting would be invited to join discussion of this item); and
- Installation of air-conditioning in primary and secondary schools.
9. Mr LEUNG Yiu-chung suggested that the Hong Kong Examination Authority's review of the public examination system in Hong Kong should be discussed at a future Panel meeting. He was concerned about the proposed incorporation of school-based assessment in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination and the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination. Members agreed to the inclusion of this item in the list of outstanding issues to be discussed.
V. Any other business
10. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 4:30 pm.
Legislative Council Secretariat
23 July 1998