LC Paper No. CB(2)369/98-99
Ref : CB2/PS/1/98
LegCo Panel on Home Affairs
Subcommittee on long-term cultural policy
Minutes of Meeting
held on Friday, 25 September 1998 at 3:30 pm
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Members Present :
Hon Cyd HO Sau-lan (Chairman)
Hon Timothy FOK Tsun-ting, JP (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Edward HO Sing-tin, JP
Hon Christine LOH
Hon Gary CHENG Kai-nam
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Member Absent :
Hon MA Fung-kwok
Clerk in Attendance :
Mrs Constance LI
Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
Staff in Attendance :
Miss Flora TAI
Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 2
I. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
The Clerk called for nominations for the presiding Member. Mr Edward HO was nominated and elected as the presiding Member.
2. Mr Edward HO took the chair and called for nominations for the chairmanship of the Subcommittee.
3. Mr Timothy FOK was nominated by Mr CHENG Kai-nam and seconded by Mr Edward HO. Miss HO Sau-lan was nominated by Miss Christine LOH and seconded by Mr Andrew CHENG. Both Mr Timothy FOK and Miss HO Sau-lan accepted the nominations.
4. As there were two nominations, a vote was taken by secret ballot. The two nominees received the same number of valid votes. The presiding Member therefore announced that lots would be drawn by him to determine which nominee should be elected. Miss HO Sau-lan ' s name was drawn, and she was declared elected as the Chairman of the Subcommittee. Miss HO Sau-lan then took the chair.
The Chairman called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship of the Subcommittee. Mr Timothy FOK was nominated by Mr Edward HO and seconded by Miss Christine LOH. Mr Timothy FOK accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Chairman declared that Mr Timothy FOK was elected as Deputy Chairman of the Subcommittee.
II. Way Forward
5. Miss Christine LOH suggested that the Subcommittee should focus on the overall cultural policy in Hong Kong, rather than the development of individual aspects of arts and culture. The roles of organisations in this context should also be examined. Mr CHENG Kai-nam commented that the Subcommittee should not preclude the possibility of discussing particular areas of arts and culture in greater depth if necessary. The Chairman suggested and members agreed that the Subcommittee should initially obtain an understanding of the Government cultural policy before meeting deputations.
III. Date of next meeting
|>6. To assist the Subcommittee to study the long-term cultural policy in Hong Kong, members agreed that written submissions from the public should be invited through advertisements in newspapers. The Subcommittee would examine the submissions received before deciding the scope of future discussion.
7. Members agreed that the next meeting should be held after the "Motion of Thanks" on the Chief Executive ' s 1998 Policy Address. Representatives of the Administration including the municipal councils and their executive departments should be invited to the meeting. Members also agreed that the Administration should be requested to provide a discussion paper on the overall cultural policy in Hong Kong and its responses to the written submissions received by Home Affairs Panel on the subject.
|8. The Chairman suggested that the next meeting be held on 31 October 1998. The Clerk will confirm the date after the meeting.||
(Post-meeting note : The next meeting will be held on Saturday, 31 October 1998 at 9:00 am.)
9. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 4:05 pm.
Legislative Council Secretariat
29 September 1998