LC Paper No. CB(2)78/98-99
Ref : CB2/PL/HA
LegCo Panel on Home Affairs
Minutes of Meeting
held on Tuesday, 14 July 1998 at 11:20 am
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Hon CHOY So-yuk (Chairman)
Hon Albert HO Chun-yan (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Cyd HO Sau-lan
Hon Edward HO Sing-tin, JP
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Hon MA Fung-kwok
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Hon Christine LOH
Hon Mrs Sophie LEUNG LAU Yau-fun, JP
Hon Gary CHENG Kai-nam
Hon Jasper TSANG Yok-sing, JP
Hon LAU Wong-fat, GBS, JP
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing, JP
Dr Hon TANG Siu-tong, JP
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Hon LAW Chi-kwong, JP
Members Absent :
Hon Ambrose CHEUNG Wing-sum, JP
Hon Andrew WONG Wang-fat, JP
Hon Timothy FOK Tsun-ting, JP
Clerk in Attendance :
- Mrs Constance LI
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
Staff in Attendance :
I. Election of Presiding Member
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General 2
- Mr Stanley MA
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 6
- Miss Flora TAI
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 2
In accordance with the election procedure circulated to members on 11 July 1998 under LC Paper No. CB(2) 26/98-99, the Clerk called for nominations for the presiding Member.
2. Mr LEE Wing-tat was nominated by Mr Edward HO and the nomination was seconded by Mr James TO. Mr LEE Wing-tat accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Clerk declared that Mr LEE Wing-tat was elected as the presiding Member.
II. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
3. Mr LEE Wing-tat took the chair and called for nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel.
4. Miss CHOY So-yuk was nominated by Dr LAW Chi-kwong and the nomination was seconded by Dr TANG Siu-tong. Miss CHOY So-yuk accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the presiding Member declared that Miss CHOY So-yuk was elected as Chairman of the Panel. Miss CHOY So-yuk then took the chair.
5. The Chairman called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship of the Panel.
6. Mr Albert HO was nominated by Dr TANG Siu-tong and the nomination was seconded by Mr CHENG Kai-nam. Mr Albert HO accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Chairman declared that Mr Albert HO was elected Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
III. Schedule of meetings for the session
7. Members agreed to schedule regular meetings of the Panel on the second Monday of each month, except for the next meeting which would be held on 27 July 1998, in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building at 4:30 pm.
IV. Items for discussion at the next meeting
8. Members discussed the list of issues to be considered which was tabled at the meeting (Appendix). Members agreed to discuss the following items at the next meeting to be held on Monday, 27 July 1998 -
- Consultation paper on stalking prepared by the Privacy Sub-committee of the Law Reform Commission;
- Preparation of reports by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on the implementation of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW); and
- Progress on the review of anti-discrimination legislation.
9. On item (b), members noted that the reports by the HKSAR Government were under preparation and would be issued around September 1998 after submission to the relevant committees of the United Nations (UN). Members considered that the Administration should be invited to brief the Panel at the next meeting on the procedures and timetable for submission of human rights reports to the UN committees by HKSAR.
V. Any other business
10. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 11:35 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
20 July 1998