LC Paper No. CB(1) 69/98-99
Ref : CB1/PL/TP
Panel on Transport
Minutes of meeting held on
Tuesday, 14 July 1998, at 11:00 am
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Hon Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee, JP (Chairman)
Hon LAU Kong-wah (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Edward HO Sing-tin, JP
Hon Albert HO Chun-yan
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Hon Mrs Selina CHOW LIANG Shuk-yee, JP
Hon CHAN Wing-chan
Hon CHAN Kam-lam
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Member attending :
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, JP
Members absent :
Dr Hon Raymond HO Chung-tai, JP
Hon LEE Kai-ming, JP
Hon Andrew WONG Wang-fat, JP
Hon LAU Chin-shek, JP
Dr Hon TANG Siu-tong, JP
Hon TAM Yiu-chung, JP
Clerk in attendance :
- Ms Estella CHAN,
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)4
Staff in attendance :
I Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
- Ms Pauline NG,
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Mr Daniel HUI,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)5
- Mr Andy LAU,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)6
A proposed agenda for the meeting and the list of issues to be considered by the Panel were tabled at the meeting.
2. In accordance with the election procedure circulated to members on 11 July 1998 under LC Paper No. CB(1) 11/98-99, the Clerk called for nominations for the presiding Member.
3. Mr Edward HO Sing-tin was nominated by Mr CHAN Kam-lam and seconded by Mr CHAN Wing-chan. Mr Edward HO Sing-tin accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Clerk declared that Mr Edward HO Sing-tin was elected as the presiding Member.
Election of Chairman
4. Mr Edward HO Sing-tin took the chair and called for nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel.
5. Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee was nominated by Mr CHAN Wing-chan and seconded by Mr CHAN Kam-lam. Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, Mr Edward HO Sing-tin declared that Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee was elected as Chairman of the Panel. Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee then took the chair.
Election of Deputy Chairman
6. The Chairman called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship of the Panel.
7. Mr LAU Kong-wah was nominated by Mr CHAN Wing-chan and seconded by Mr CHAN Kam-lam. Mr LAU Kong-wah accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Chairman declared that Mr LAU Kong-wah was elected as Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
II Schedule of meetings for the 1998-99 session
8. Members agreed that regular meetings of the Panel would be held on the fourth Friday of each month at 10:45 am except for the meeting in July 1998, which would be held on 31 July 1998 instead. Members also agreed that no regular meeting would be scheduled for August 1998 during the summer recess of the Council.
III Discussion items for next meeting
(List of issues to be considered)
9. Members agreed to discuss the following issues at the next meeting scheduled for 31 July 1998 at 10:45 am:
- Transitional arrangements for the takeover of the China Motor Bus franchise; and
- Connecting transport arrangements for the new airport.
10. Members agreed that Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation's proposal for the implementation of the Ma On Shan to Tai Wai rail link be put on the list of issues to be considered.
11. Members agreed that the Administration should be requested to provide a written report on the problem of chaotic bus services arising from the opening of Route 3, together with the improvement measures taken so far and the present state of the problem before the next meeting to be held on 31 July 1998.
IV Any other business
12. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 11:15 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
24 July 1998