LC Paper No. CB(1)165/99-00
LegCo Panel on Environmental Affairs
Members present :
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, 7 October 1999, at 10:20 am
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Hon Christine LOH (Chairman)
Hon HUI Cheung-ching (Deputy Chairman)
Ir Dr Hon Raymond HO Chung-tai, JP
Hon Martin LEE Chu-ming, SC, JP
Hon Margaret NG
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, JP
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon CHAN Wing-chan
Dr Hon LEONG Che-hung, JP
Hon Mrs Sophie LEUNG LAU Yau-fun, JP
Hon LAU Kong-wah
Hon Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee, JP
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing, JP
Hon CHOY So-yukMembers absent :
Prof Hon NG Ching-fai
Hon WONG Yung-kan
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Hon LAW Chi-kwong, JP Clerk in attendance :
Staff in attendance :
- Miss Odelia LEUNG,
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)1
I Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
- Ms Pauline NG,
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Mrs Mary TANG,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)2
In accordance with Rule 77(5) of the Rules of Procedure, Miss Christine LOH, Chairman of the Panel for the 1998-1999 session, invited nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel for the 1999-2000 session. As Miss LOH herself was nominated by Mr Martin LEE and seconded by Mr Ronald ARCULLI, Mr HUI Cheung-ching, Deputy Chairman of the Panel for the 1998-1999 session, took over the chair to preside over the election. There being no other nominations, Miss LOH was declared elected as Chairman of the Panel for the 1999-2000 session.
2. Miss Christine LOH took over the chair of the meeting and invited nominations for the deputy chairmanship. Mr HUI Cheung-ching was nominated by Mr CHAN Wing-chan and seconded by Ir Dr Raymond HO. There being no other nominations, Mr HUI was declared elected as Deputy Chairman of the Panel for the 1999-2000 session.
II Schedule of meetings for the 1999-2000 session
3. Members agreed that regular meetings of the Panel would be held on the first Friday of each month at 10:45 am.
III Discussion items for next meeting
(The list of outstanding items for discussion and the list of follow-up actions arising from discussion were respectively at Appendices V and VI to LC Paper No. CB(1)3/99-00.)
4. Members agreed to hold a special Panel meeting on 28 October 1999 at 8:30 am to discuss the following issues -
- Strategic Sewage Disposal Scheme; and
- Progress of Y2000 compliance exercise relating to environment.
(Post-meeting note: At the request of the Administration and with the consent of Chairman, the Administration would brief members on the Protection of the Harbour (Amendment) Bill at that meeting.)
5. Members agreed that a joint meeting with the Transport Panel would be held on 5 November 1999 at 10:45 am to discuss the air quality improvement plans relating to transport outlined in the 1999 Policy Address.
IV Any other business
6. The Chairman reminded members that the briefing by the Secretary for Planning, Environment and Lands on the Chief Executive's Policy Address 1999 relating to environment had been scheduled for 8 October 1999 at 8:30 am.
7. The meeting ended at 10:35 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
21 October 1999