LC Paper No. CB(1)151/99-00
Panel on Economic Services
Minutes of meeting held on
Members present :
Thursday, 7 October 1999, at 8:40 am
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Hon James TIEN Pei-chun, JP (Chairman)
Hon Kenneth TING Woo-shou, JP
Hon David CHU Yu-lin
Dr Hon LUI Ming-wah, JP
Hon MA Fung-kwok
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon HUI Cheung-ching
Hon Howard YOUNG, JP
Hon Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee, JP
Hon FUNG Chi-kin
Member attending :
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, JPMembers absent :
Hon Fred LI Wah-ming (Deputy Chairman)
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Hon Eric LI Ka-cheung, JP
Dr Hon David LI Kwok-po, JP
Hon Ambrose CHEUNG Wing-sum, JP
Hon Christine LOH
Hon CHAN Kam-lam
Hon SIN Chung-kai
Dr Hon Philip WONG Yu-hong
Hon WONG Yung-kan
Hon LAU Chin-shek, JPClerk in attendance :
Staff in attendance :
- Ms Estella CHAN
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)4
I Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
- Ms Pauline NG
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Ms Sara YUEN
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)4
- Mr Andy LAU
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)6
In accordance with Rule 22(f) of the House Rules, the Chairman invited nominations for chairmanship. Mr James TIEN Pei-chun was nominated by Mr David CHU Yu-lin and seconded by Mr Kenneth TING Woo-shou. Mr TIEN accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, Mr TIEN was declared elected as Chairman of the Panel.
2. The Chairman invited nominations for deputy chairmanship. Mr Fred LI Wah-ming was nominated by Mr Kenneth TING Woo-shou and seconded by Mr Howard YOUNG. As Mr LI was absent, Mr CHEUNG Man-kwong confirmed on behalf of Mr LI that the nomination was accepted. There being no other nomination, Mr LI was declared elected as Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
II Schedule of meetings for the 1999-2000 session
3. Members agreed that regular meetings of the Panel would be held at 10:45 am on the fourth Monday of each month starting from October 1999. However, as the scheduled meeting in December 1999 fell on a public holiday, members agreed that the meeting be held on 20 December 1999, at 8:30 am instead.
III Discussion items for next meeting
4. After deliberations, members agreed that the discussion topics for the meetings in October and November are as follows:
- 8 October 1999 (9:35 am - 10:35 am)
Briefing by the Secretary for Economic Services on the Chief Executive's Policy Address 1999
- 25 October 1999 (10:45 am - 12: 45 am)
Progress of Y2K compliance work in Government and non-Government organizations under the purview of the Economic Services Bureau
- 22 November 1999 (10:45 am - 12 :45 am)
Measures to boost competitiveness of the Hong Kong International Airport.
5. The Chairman invited members to forward to the Clerk other suggested items for discussion at the meeting on 25 October 1999 after the meeting. Meanwhile, the Secretariat would also seek the Administration's views on whether they would like to propose any further items for discussion at the meeting.
6. Noting that the on-going negotiation between the Administration and the Walt Disney Company on the development of an international theme park at Penny's Bay on North Lantau was scheduled for completion before the end of October 1999, members agreed that the Administration should be invited to brief members on the project once a decision was finalized.
IV Any other business
7. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 8:55 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
20 October 1999