LC Paper No. CB(2)295/99-00
Ref : CB2/PL/HA
LegCo Panel on Home Affairs
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, 7 October 1999 at 10:40 am
in the Chamber of the Legislative Council Building
Members Present :
Hon CHOY So-yuk (Chairman)
Hon Albert HO Chun-yan (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Cyd HO Sau-lan
Hon Edward HO Sing-tin, JP
Hon MA Fung-kwok
Hon Christine LOH
Hon Gary CHENG Kai-nam
Hon LAU Wong-fat, GBS, JP
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing, JP
Hon Timothy FOK Tsun-ting, JP
Members Absent :
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Hon Ambrose CHEUNG Wing-sum, JP
Hon Andrew WONG Wang-fat, JP
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Clerk in Attendance :
Staff in Attendance :
- Mrs Constance LI
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2) 2
I. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
- Miss Flora TAI
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 2
As presiding Member of the meeting, Miss Choy So-yuk called for nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel.
2. Miss CHOY So-yuk was nominated by Miss Christine LOH and the nomination was seconded by Mr Edward HO. Miss CHOY So-yuk accepted the nomination. As Miss CHOY was nominated for the office, Mr Albert HO, Deputy Chairman of the Panel before the election, took over as the presiding Member. There being no other nomination, Mr Albert HO declared that Miss CHOY So-yuk was elected as Chairman of the Panel. Miss CHOY So-yuk then took the chair.
3. The Chairman called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship of the Panel.
4. Mr Albert HO was nominated by Mr MA Fung-kwok and the nomination was seconded by Miss Christine LOH. Mr Albert HO accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Chairman declared that Mr Albert HO was elected Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
II. Schedule of meetings for the 1999-2000 session
5. Members agreed to schedule regular meetings of the Panel on the second Monday of each month at 4:30 pm. Members also agreed to hold the next regular meeting on Monday, 8 November 1999.
6. Members noted that the special meeting to continue discussion on the Report of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China in the light of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights had been re-scheduled for Tuesday, 12 October 1999 at 2:30 pm.
III. Items for discussion at future meetings
7. Members discussed the list of discussion items for future meeting [Appendix V to LC Paper No. CB(2)9/99-00]. The Chairman suggested and members agreed that the next meeting to be held on Monday, 8 November 1998 would be devoted solely to the discussion on the two consultation papers of the Privacy Sub-committee of the Law Reform Commission concerning regulation of media intrusion and protection of privacy. Ms Emily LAU suggested and members agreed that concerned organizations and academics should be invited to attend discussion.
8. Miss Christine LOH suggested and the meeting agreed that a joint meeting should be held with the Panel on Education to discuss the investigation report of Equal Opportunities Commission on the Secondary School Places Allocation System.
(Post-meeting notes : The joint meeting has been scheduled for Tuesday, 26 October 1999 at 10:45am.)
9. Members further agreed that the regular meeting to be held on 13 December 1999 would discuss the following items -
- development of a major performance venue in the West Kowloon Reclamation and a sports complex in Southeast Kowloon; and
- progress of the Administration's review on the proposal of setting up an intermediary body for the collection of maintenance payments.
10. At the suggestion of Deputy Chairman and Ms HO Sau-lan, members agreed to include the following items in the list of discussion items for future meetings -
IV. Any other business
- progress of the review of the Building Management Ordinance (Cap. 344); and
- Equal Opportunities Commission's investigation report on the Kowloon Bay Health Centre case.
11. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 11:00 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
21 October 1999