LC Paper No. CB(1)169/99-00
Ref : CB1/PL/ITB/1
Panel on Information Technology and Broadcasting
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, 7 October 1999, at 12:15 pm
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Hon MA Fung-kwok (Chairman)
Hon SIN Chung-kai (Deputy Chairman)
Hon David CHU Yu-lin
Hon Eric LI Ka-cheung, JP
Hon Fred LI Wah-ming, JP
Prof Hon NG Ching-fai
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Hon CHAN Kwok-keung
Hon Howard YOUNG, JP
Hon YEUNG Yiu-chung
Hon Emily LAU Wai-hing, JP
Hon CHOY So-yuk
Hon LAW Chi-kwong, JP
Members absent :
Hon Kenneth TING Woo-shou, JP
Ir Dr Hon Raymond HO Chung-tai, JP
Hon Timothy FOK Tsun-ting, SBS, JP
Clerk in attendance :
Staff in attendance :
- Miss Polly YEUNG
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)3
I Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
- Ms Pauline NG
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Ms Sarah YUEN
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)4
- Ms Anita SIT
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)8
Mr SIN Chung-kai, Chairman of the Panel in office, chaired the meeting. He invited nominations for the chairmanship. Mr MA Fung-kwok was nominated by Mr Howard YOUNG. The nomination of Mr MA was seconded by Mr Eric LI. Mr MA accepted the nomination.
2. There being no other nomination, Mr SIN Chung-kai declared that Mr MA Fung-kwok was elected Chairman of the Panel for the 1999-2000 session.
3. Mr MA Fung-kwok took the chair and called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship. Mr SIN Chung-kai was nominated by Mr Eric LI and seconded by Mr Howard YOUNG. Mr SIN accepted the nomination.
4. There being no other nomination, the Chairman declared that Mr SIN Chung-kai was elected Deputy Chairman of the Panel for the 1999-2000 session.
II Schedule of meetings for the 1999-2000 session
5. Members agreed that the regular monthly meetings of the Panel would be held on the second Monday of each month at 2:30 p.m starting from the month of November 1999.
(Post-meeting note: Panel members have been informed of the schedule of Panel meetings for the 1999-2000 session vide LC Paper No. CB(1)66/99-00.)
III Discussion items for next meeting
6. Members agreed to discuss the following items at the next meeting to be held on Monday, 8 November 1999, at 2:30 p.m. -
- Progress of Year 2000 compliance exercise and contingency planning in Government and Non-Government organisations funded or regulated by Government; and
- Development of broadband and Internet services in Hong Kong.
7. Members also agreed that the following items should be included in the Panel's list of outstanding issues and where practicable, be brought up for discussion at the monthly meeting for December 1999 -
IV Any other business
- Network access charges; and
- Major provisions in the proposed Broadcasting Bill.
8. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 12:30 p.m.
Legislative Council Secretariat
14 October 1999