LC Paper No. CB(2) 180/99-00
Ref : CB2/PL/MP/1
LegCo Panel on Manpower
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, 7 October 1999 at 2:30 pm
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Hon LAU Chin-shek, JP (Chairman)
Hon LEE Kai-ming, SBS, JP (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Kenneth TING Woo-shou, JP
Hon James TIEN Pei-chun, JP
Hon David CHU Yu-lin
Hon HO Sai-chu, SBS, JP
Hon Cyd HO Sau-lan
Hon Michael HO Mun-ka
Hon LEE Cheuk-yan
Dr Hon LUI Ming-wah, JP
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, JP
Hon CHAN Kwok-keung
Hon CHAN Yuen-han
Hon CHAN Wing-chan
Hon CHAN Kam-lam
Hon SIN Chung-kai
Hon YEUNG Yiu-chung
Hon SZETO Wah
Members absent :
Hon LEUNG Yiu-chung
Dr Hon LEONG Che-hung, JP
Hon Andrew CHENG Kar-foo
Clerk in attendance :
Staff in attendance :
- Mrs Sharon TONG
- Chief Assistant Secretary (2)1
I. Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
- Mrs Justina LAM
- Assistant Secretary General 2
- Miss Betty MA
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 1
- Mr Raymond LAM
- Senior Assistant Secretary (2) 5
Election of Chairman
Mr LEE Kai-ming took the chair and called for nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel.
2. Mr LEE Kai-ming was nominated by Mr Kenneth TING and the nomination was seconded by Mr CHAN Kam-lam. Mr LEE Kai-ming declined the nomination. Mr LAU Chin-shek was nominated by Mr CHAN Wing-chan and the nomination was seconded by Mr David CHU. Mr LAU Chin-shek accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, Mr LEE Kai-ming declared that Mr LAU Chin-shek was elected Chairman of the Panel. Mr LAU Chin-shek then took the chair.
Election of Deputy Chairman
3. The Chairman called for nominations for the deputy chairmanship of the Panel.
4. Mr LEE Kai-ming was nominated by Mr CHAN Kwok-keung and the nomination was seconded by Mr CHAN Wing-chan and Mr YEUNG Yiu-chung. Mr LEE Kai-ming accepted the nomination. There being no other nomination, the Chairman declared Mr LEE Kai-ming elected Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
II. Schedule of meetings for the 1999-2000 session
5. Members agreed that future meetings of the Panel would be held on the fourth Thursday of each month at 2:30 pm.
III. Items for discussion at the next meeting
6. Members agreed that the next meeting would be held on Thursday, 28 October 1999 at 2:30 pm to discuss the following -
- report on the progress of policy initiatives for the 1998-99 session, legislative proposals and policy programmes/reviews for the 1999-2000 session; and
- new proposals and measures to improve industrial safety.
(Post-meeting note : Additional discussion items on "review of the apprenticeship system" and "briefing on Industrial Training (Construction Industry) (Amendment) Bill 1999" were subsequently added at the request of the Administration.)On item (a), Mr LEE Cheuk-yan suggested that the Administration be requested to provide information on the respective timing and priority for presentation of bills and subsidiary legislation. In this connection, Assistant Secretary General 2 (ASG2) said that a list of Government Bills which the Administration intended to introduce into Legislative Council from October onwards had been issued to Members of the House Committee on 6 October 1999.
7. Mr LEE Cheuk-yan suggested that the issue of reinstatement, a review on which was being conducted by the Administration, be added to the list of outstanding items for future discussion.
8. On the pilot scheme on admission of outstanding talents especially from the Mainland to work in Hong Kong, members agreed to hold a joint meeting with the Panel on Security.
IV. Any other business
9. Mr LEE Cheuk-yan said that the Panel on Welfare Services had agreed that a research study on unemployment benefits systems be conducted by the Research and Library Services Division. As the issue was also related to the purview of the Panel on Manpower, the Panel on Welfare Services suggested the formation of a working group comprising interested members of the two Panels to work out the scope of the research project. Members agreed to the proposal.
10. The Chairman reminded members that the briefing by the Secretary for Education and Manpower on the Chief Executive's Policy Address 1999 would be held on 9 October 1999 at 9:45 am. ASG2 said that the Administration had advised that if typhoon signal number eight was hoisted on that day, the briefing might be postponed to the following Monday. Members would be informed of the arrangements separately.
11. The meeting ended at 2:45 pm.
Legislative Council Secretariat
20 October 1999