LC Paper No. CB(1)166/99-00
LegCo Panel on Planning, Lands and WorksMembers present :
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, 7 October 1999, at 11:00 am
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Hon Edward HO Sing-tin, SBS, JP (Chairman)
Dr Hon TANG Siu-tong, JP (Deputy Chairman)
Hon HO Sai-chu, SBS, JP
Ir Dr Hon Raymond HO Chung-tai, JP
Hon Ronald ARCULLI, JP
Hon LAU Wong-fat, GBS, JP
Members absent :
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Hon James TO Kun-sun
Hon WONG Yung-kan
Hon Timothy FOK Tsun-ting, SBS, JP
Hon TAM Yiu-chung, GBS, JP
Clerk in attendance :
Staff in attendance :
- Miss Odelia LEUNG,
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)1
- Ms Pauline NG,
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Mrs Mary TANG,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)2
I Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
In accordance with Rule 77(5) of the Rules of Procedure, Mr Edward HO, Chairman of the Panel for the 1998-1999 session, invited nominations for the chairmanship of the Panel for the 1999-2000 session. As Mr HO himself was nominated by Mr Ronald ARCULLI and seconded by Mr HO Sai-chu, Dr TANG Siu-tong, Deputy Chairman of the Panel for the 1998-1999 session, took over the chair to preside over the election. There being no other nominations, Mr Edward HO was declared elected as Chairman of the Panel for the 1999-2000 session.
2. Mr Edward HO took over the chair of the meeting and invited nominations for the deputy chairmanship. Dr TANG Siu-tong was nominated by Mr Ronald ARCULLI and seconded by Mr HO Sai-chu. There being no other nominations, Dr TANG Siu-tong was declared elected as Deputy Chairman of the Panel for 1999-2000 session.
II Schedule of meetings for the 1999-2000 session
3. Members agreed that regular meetings of the Panel would be held on the second Thursday of each month at 10:45 am.
III Discussion items for next meeting
(The list of outstanding items for discussion and the list of follow-up actions arising from discussion were respectively at Appendices V and VI to LC Paper No. CB(1)2/99-00.)
4. Members agreed to hold the first regular meeting of the Panel on 28 October 1999 at 10:45 am to discuss the following -
- Progress of Y2K compliance exercise relating to planning and land matters; and
- Progress of Y2K compliance exercise relating to works matters.
(Post-meeting note: At the request of the Administration and with the consent of Chairman, the Administration would brief members on the Urban Renewal Authority White Bill at that meeting.)
5. Dr TANG Siu-tong raised concern about the uneven pilings in Tin Shui Wai Area 31 Phase 1 and suggested that the Panel discuss the subject. The Chairman informed that the case and the general issue of the monitoring mechanism for housing projects of the Housing Authority had been discussed by the Housing Panel at its meeting on 27 September 1999 and the Administration had undertaken to provide a report on the case in about three months' time. He was aware that the building professions felt aggrieved at the unfair comments on them for the piling faults. Mr Ronald ARCULLI pointed out that since the case was under investigation and there might be court proceedings after completion of the investigation, he considered it inappropriate to discuss the case or the general issue of control over piling works at the present stage. Members agreed that the subject should not be pursued for the time being.
IV Any other business
6. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 11:15 am.
Legislative Council Secretariat
21 October 1999