LC Paper No. CB(1) 160/99-00
Panel on Trade and Industry
Minutes of meeting
held on Thursday, 7 October 1999, at 2:00 pm
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Hon CHAN Kam-lam (Chairman)
Hon Kenneth TING Woo-shou, JP (Deputy Chairman)
Hon James TIEN Pei-chun, JP
Hon Cyd HO Sau-lan
Dr Hon LUI Ming-wah, JP
Hon NG Leung-sing
Prof Hon NG Ching-fai
Hon Mrs Selina CHOW LIANG Shuk-yee, JP
Hon MA Fung-kwok
Hon CHEUNG Man-kwong
Hon HUI Cheung-ching
Hon CHAN Kwok-keung
Hon Bernard CHAN
Hon Mrs Sophie LEUNG LAU Yau-fun, JP
Members absent :
Hon Fred LI Wah-ming, JP
Hon SIN Chung-kai
Dr Hon Philip WONG Yu-hong
Clerk in attendance :
Staff in attendance :
- Ms LEUNG Siu-kum,
- Chief Assistant Secretary (1)2
I Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
- Ms Pauline NG,
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Miss Becky YU,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)3
- Ms Rosalind MA,
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)9
Mr CHAN Kam-lam invited nominations for the Chairman. Mr CHAN Kam-lam was nominated by Mr Kenneth TING Woo-shou and seconded by Mr CHAN Kwok-keung.
2. Mr James TIEN Pei-chun took over the chair and presided over the election of the Chairman.
3. There being no other nomination, Mr CHAN Kam-lam was declared Chairman of the Panel.
4. Mr CHAN Kam-lam took over the Chair and invited nominations for the Deputy Chairman.
5. Mr Kenneth TING Woo-shou was nominated by Mr Bernard CHAN and seconded by Mr CHAN Kwok-keung.
6. There being no other nomination, Mr Kenneth TING Woo-shou was declared Deputy Chairman of the Panel.
II Schedule of meetings for the 1999-2000 session
7. Members noted that a policy briefing by the Secretary for Trade and Industry in respect of trade and industry matters would be held on 12 October 1999 at 4:30 pm.
8. Members agreed that future meetings of the Panel would be held on the first Monday of each month at 2:30 pm.
III Discussion items for the next meeting
9. Members agreed that the next meeting would be held on Monday, 1 November 1999 at 2:30 pm to discuss the following:
- Y2K compliance work in government departments and non-government organizations under the purview of the Trade and Industry Bureau;
IV Any other business
- Support to industry on environmental matters; and
- Special Finance Scheme for Small and Medium Enterprises.
(Post-meeting note: At the request of the Administration and with the concurrence of the Chairman, discussion on "support to industry on environmental matters" would be replaced by "Organized and Serious Crime Ordinance (Amendment of Schedule 1) Order 1999".)
11. There being no other business, the meeting ended at 2:20 pm.
Legislative Council Secretariat
21 October 1999