LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 145/96-97
Ref : CB1/PL/TP/1
LegCo Panel on Transport
Minutes of the Meeting
on Thursday, 3 October 1996 at 8:30 a.m.
in Conference Room B of the Legislative Council Building
Members present :
Hon Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee, OBE, JP (Chairman)
Hon Zachary WONG Wai-yin (Deputy Chairman)
Hon Albert CHAN Wai-yip
Hon CHAN Kam-lam
Hon CHAN Wing-chan
Hon CHEUNG Hon-chung
Hon Albert HO Chun-yan
Hon LEE Kai-ming
Hon NGAN Kam-chuen
Hon SIN Chung-kai
Hon TSANG Kin-shing
Hon Lawrence YUM Sin-ling
Members absent :
Hon Mrs Selina CHOW, OBE, JP
Hon Edward S T HO, OBE, JP
Hon LEE Wing-tat
Dr Hon Samuel WONG Ping-wai, MBE, FEng, JP
Dr Hon Philip WONG Yu-hong
Hon CHOY Kan-pui, JP
Hon LAU Chin-shek
Dr Hon LAW Cheung-kwok
Clerk in attendance :
- Mrs Vivian KAM
- Chief Assistance Secretary (1)2
Staff in attendance :
- Miss Pauline NG
- Assistant Secretary General 1
- Miss Becky YU
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)3
- Mr Billy TAM
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)4
- Mr Matthew LOO
- Senior Assistant Secretary (1)4 (Des)
I Election of Chairman and Deputy Chairman
(Appendix I of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2130/95-96)
The Chairman reminded members that in accordance with Standing Order 60E(6), members who were chairman or deputy chairman of the government advisory body relevant to the Transport Panel at Appendix I of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2130/95-96 would not be eligible to stand for election.
2. Hon Mrs Miriam LAU Kin-yee and Hon Zachary WONG Wai-yin were elected Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Panel respectively.
II Terms of Reference
(Appendix II of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2130/95-96)
3. Members agreed that the current terms of reference for the Panel should continue.
III Schedule of Meetings for the 1996-97 Session
4. Members agreed that regular meetings would be held on the second Friday of each month at 8:30 a.m., and the next meeting would be held on 23 October 1996 at 8:30 a.m.
IV Items for Discussion for the 1996-97 Session
(Appendix III of LegCo Paper No. CB(1) 2130/95-96)
4. Members agreed to discuss the items in (a) at the meeting on 23 October 1996 and the items in (b) at subsequent meetings:
(a) Meeting on 23 October 1996
- Tuen Mun Road widening work mediation case
- Consultants recommendations on tram safety
- Fare structure of the Mass Transit Railway Tsuen Wan Line and additional bus routes for Tsuen Wan and Kwai Chung districts
(b) Subsequent meetings
- Mass Transit Railway Tsuen Kwan O Extension
- Rail link between Ma On Shan and Tai Wai
- Tsing Ma Control Area Bill
- Improvement of ferry services between Tuen Mun and the urban area
- Research report by the Mass Transit Railway Corporation on credit ratings of mass transit system in overseas countries
- Fare forecast for the Airport Railway
(Post-meeting note - At the suggestion of the Administration and with the concurrence of the Chairman, the Panel would discuss items I, II, IV, V and VI above at the meeting on 23 October 1996.)
5. Members also requested the Research and Library Services Division of the LegCo Secretariat to conduct a research on the use of Liquefied Petroleum Gas for taxis and produce a report in three months.
6. Members agreed on the continuation of the Subcommittee on Western Corridor Railway and that the Chairmanship and terms of reference would remain unchanged. The quorum would either be three members or one third of the membership whichever was greater. The clerk would issue a notice to invite members who were not yet members of the Subcommittee to signify membership. The first meeting of the Subcommittee in this session was scheduled for 24 October 1996 at 3:00 p.m.
7. Members agreed that the first meeting of the Working Group on Overseas Study Tour for studying mass transit systems and transport facilities would be held on 16 October 1996 at 3:30 p.m.
8. As the Administration had very often not adhered to the Panels request for timely provision of information papers in the last session, members agreed to reiterate the request to the Secretary for Transport for papers to be provided simultaneously in English and Chinese one week ahead of Panel meetings except in the case of urgent meetings and for the tabling of papers at meetings to be avoided as far as possible.
9. The meeting ended at 9:00 a.m.
Legislative Council Secretariat
17 October 1996
Last Updated on 22 August 1998