Paper No.CB(2)426(01)

Extract of the Administration's paper for
the Home Affairs Panel meeting
on 25 August 1997

‧rural elections: Government's policy is that all elections should be open and fair. To that end, we are working closely with the Heung Yee Kuk and its Rural Committees to ensure compliance with the Kuk's "model rules' for village representative elections. Among other things, these rules provide for one-person-one-vote, equal voting rights for men and women and fixed four-year terms for elected representatives. As at 1 August 1997, 519 (or 94%) of the villages concerned had held elections in accordance with these rules. The remaining 6% have undertaken to do so. Preparations - such as registration of voters and nomination of candidates - are underway.