Provisional Legislative Council
Members�Redress System

What is the Provisional Legislative Council Members�Redress System?

Members of Provisional Legislative Council (PLC) operate a Redress System under which members of the public can make representations on or seek solutions to problems arising from Government policies, decisions and procedures. PLC Members come from many different professions and walks of life. Their experience and knowledge of Government policies coupled with their frequent contacts with Government departments enable them to offer assistance in sorting out complaints and in interceding on behalf of members of the public.

How do I get help from the Redress System?

The Redress System is open to every member of the public and its services are available both to individuals and to organizations. The PLC Secretariat Complaints Division, which is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Redress System, is open between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on weekdays and between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon on Saturdays. Every week a number of Members are on duty to oversee the system and to receive representations made by deputations. A Member will also be on ward duty for two hours a day to meet with individual complainants who wish to discuss their complaints with a Member. If you wish to obtain the service of the Redress System and/or to seek an interview with a ward Member, you can contact the PLC Secretariat by :
    Telephoning the Complaints Division at 2526 4027;
    Sending a facsimile message to the Complaints Division at 2521 7518;
    Visiting the Complaints Division at :
	5/F, Citibank Tower
	3 Garden Road
	Hong Kong 
    Writing to the Complaints Division at the same address.

How will my complaint be handled?

The PLC Secretariat Complaints Officer looking after your complaint will obtain all the relevant information on your case. This is normally done through an interview with you either at the Complaints Division or over the telephone.

PLC Members on duty will meet complainants and examine reports on cases handled by the Complaints Division. Sometimes, in order to obtain a fuller understanding of the issues and problems involved, Members and Complaints Officers may visit a site to obtain first-hand information on a case. The complaint is then examined in the light of Government policies and procedures : usually this involves asking the Government department concerned to provide information on the case and justification for the decision made. To facilitate investigation, the Administration will be informed of the identity of the complainant unless the complainant indicates his/her intention to remain anonymous. If a case involves possible changes to an existing policy, it would probably be put to one of the PLC Panels for more detailed consideration by Members. If a complaint is particularly difficult or raises wide policy issues, Members may take it up personally with a Head of Department or ask a question on it in the Provisional Legislative Council.

If Members consider your complaint to be justified, they will ask the Government department(s) concerned to reconsider the decision(s) or re-examine the procedures that have given rise to the complaint. If Members also conclude from their investigation into the complaint that a change in policy or in law is necessary, they will raise it with the policy Bureau in the Government Secretariat for consideration or during an appropriate debate in the Provisional Legislative Council. You will then be informed of the decision of Members by the Complaints Division.

In some cases Members may come to the conclusion that they are unable to help. They may, for example, decide that the complaint is unjustified; that the original decision by the Government department is the right one; that the Government policy is not at fault; or that the remedy sought cannot be supported. When Members decide not to support a complaint, the reasons for their decisions are always explained to the complainant.

In some cases, Members may decide to refer the complaints to The Ombudsman for investigation where the allegations are those concerning maladministration of Government departments and public organizations specified in The Ombudsman Ordinance. Consent from the complainants will however be obtained before referrals are made. Such complaints must not be made anonymously. Members of the public can also approach The Ombudsman direct to lodge their complaints and request investigations.

Are there any matters which Members cannot help me under the Redress System?

The following complaints fall outside the jurisdiction of the Redress System :
    Disputes between private individuals;
    Disputes between employers and employees;
    Civil Service appointment, staff discipline and staff management matters involving individual Government officers;
    Matters which are sub-judice o