(Letterhead of the Democratic Party)
14 July 1998
Ms LEUNG Siu-kum
Dear Ms LEUNG,
In preparation for the meeting of the LegCo Panel on Housing to be held on 23 July 1998, I would like to raise the following questions. Please refer them to the Housing Bureau and request an early reply in writing.
Rent of commercial premises under the Housing Authority (HA)
- Since HA announced that commercial tenants could apply for rent reassessment, how many such applications have been received by the Housing Department as at 22 July 1998? Please provide a breakdown of the results of all completed cases of reassessment by percentage of rent increase or reduction in groupings of 0-10%, 10-20%......, etc.
- Is there any appeal channel for commercial tenants who are dissatisfied with the results of rent reassessment?
- How many commercial tenants have renewed their tenancies since February 1998 (when HA decided to freeze rent of commercial premises for one year)? How many of these tenants have to pay a higher level of rent upon renewal of tenancy? What are the percentages of rent increase? Please provide a breakdown in groupings of 0-5%, 5-10%, 11-15%, 16-20%, 21-25%, 25-30%, 30-35%, 36-40% and above 40%.
- Is there any appeal channel for commercial tenants who are dissatisfied with the levels of rent to be charged upon renewal of tenancy?
- Please provide information on the vacancy rates of commercial premises under HA since January 1997.
for Hon LEE Wing-tat
Chairman, LegCo Panel on Housing